Brooklyn, NY asked in Child Custody for New York

Q: Will I go to jail or lose custody if I fail to go to court against a grandmother?

I recently moved out of state. my twins paternal grandmother of my 8 year olds who has no visitation or anything. She just got out prison after doing 5 years & is on parole & doesn’t really know my daughters. She wants custody/visitation & has never been involved in my kids life. Only one month recently. She has no legal standing with my children at all & cant stay out of prison long enough to get to know them (repeated felon for drug distribution charges) I can’t make court being as I just moved out or nY to Texas, will I go to jail or lose custody of my daughters for not showing up to court being as I just moved to Texas.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Mironenko
Nina Mironenko
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Huntington, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You should have received a notice with the petition that you can appear by phone. Follow the instructions for that, or if you did not receive the notice, then call the court and ask for the instructions.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.