Imperial, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Good evening, I was wondering if you could explain a bit about small claim court.

There's a roommate I had that refused to pay the last bill of a utility, well his portion anyway. Long story short, its not a big amount but he turned out to be really rude to alot of people so I wanted to know if i could sue him in small claim court so he doesn't get away with not paying just because he doesnt like us anymore. Sorry for taking your time with this small issue but ill appreciate any help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gerald Barry Dorfman
Gerald Barry Dorfman
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Mill Valley, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes. There is no lower limit amount you can sue for in small claims court. Before you can sue, you must make a demand for payment to the person. If you do not know how to use the court, see if your county has a free small claims adviser. You can consult with, but not be represented by, a lawyer for the initial trial. See, for example, Also there is an excellent book about California small claims court published by Nolo Press.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.