Lafayette, LA asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Louisiana

Q: I was awarded full custody of my son on 8/9 & child support stopped, but my ex cashed a prior check dated 8/15.

I gave my son’s mother two checks, one dated 8/1 and one dated 8/15. I got my son for my usual time with him on 7/24, and due to his mother getting evicted and tons of other legal issues, I filed and received emergency custody of him on 8/9. She still cashed the check dated 8/15 even though it shows in the court paperwork that child support ended as of 8/9. What are my rights?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You can now seek child support from her and repayment of that check.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.