Carbondale, PA asked in Divorce for Pennsylvania

Q: I am looking into a divorce no fault. I would like to know what my options. We have no items to separate.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Roy L. Galloway III

  • Harrisburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If you have no property to divide and neither party desires alimony pendente lite, you can get a divorce with simple paperwork.

Frankly, in most counties, the court has a self help section where you can print out forms and follow the directions to finish the divorce.

However, if you don’t wish to be bothered with the paperwork, you can hire an attorney to file the paperwork and get you divorced. These type of divorces are inexpensive and can be resolved rather quickly, especially where both parties consent to a divorce.

Where the other party does not consent to a divorce, you will most likely have to wait until you have been separated for at least 1 year before you can get a divorce.

For more information on divorce, you can go to our website:

Kathy Bloom

  • Horsham, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You can get a no fault divorce under Sections 3301(c) or (d) of the divorce code. For a 3301(d) divorce, you need to have been separated for at least a year at the time you ask the court to file the record. For a (c) you do not have to be separated before you file, but you need to wait for 90 days from the time the complaint is filed until you ask the court to transmit the record. Both parties need to sign a consent to the divorce for a (c). Only the filing party needs to sign for a (d). You have to follow specific procedures for both of the no-fault divorces. For a (d) the non-moving party may object to the divorce by claiming you have not been separated for a year, or that the marriage is not irretrievably broken. That party can also make economic claims, even if you think there are not any claims to make. If one party makes more money than the other, that party can ask for alimony after the divorce is final, and can even ask for alimony pendente lite while the divorce is pending. Even for a simple no fault divorce, you should get the help of an experienced family law attorney who will do it correctly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.