Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by John M. Kenney
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: My ex wants to give me the house. Transfer deed only adds me . Can we use a quit claim deed ?

The current deed is only under his name . I understand it doesn’t change who’s responsible for the mortgage , he just wants his name off .

John M. Kenney
John M. Kenney
answered on Jun 22, 2024

Absolutely. A quitclaim deed offers no warranties of title somewhat like you get what I have. Since the home is subject to the existing mortgage a quit claim is totally appropriate. .

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.