Red Oak, TX asked in Divorce for Texas

Q: I am wanting to file for Divorce in Texas we have 2 small children. My husband is not working, I have been the provider

My husband has health issues but is not considered disabled. Is there a possibility I would have to pay spousal support if so what is the most amount of time? Is there a possibility I would have to pay him the rest of his life? This is the one thing keeping me from filing i'm worried I would have to work another job to pay him. I already work 3 jobs to support my kids I have another child I have custody of and support.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Chad Zubi
Chad Zubi
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The presumption is that spousal support is not warranted. If your husband can prove by clear and convincing evidence that after the division of community property and the confirmation of any separate property that he still cannot meet his minimum reasonable needs than there is a possibility that you would have to pay spousal support. I assume you have been married for 10 or more years and that your husband is not disabled.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.