Saint Louis, MO asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Illinois

Q: I want to move from Illinois to Missouri with my children but my ex husband will not allow it

So after he said no, I filed a petition with the court. I haven't gotten any response from the court at all. School has started and it will be better all the way around if we moved. What can I do, if anything, to speed up the judge to get a court date? What will happen if I just moved without waiting on a hearing? Their father hasn't paid child support since march 19 and he has every other weekend visits but has only had them one night since March and that was back in May. It is a better school district with more activities and opportunities for the boys and a better job market for me. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert B. Buchanan
Robert B. Buchanan
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You will not get a response from the court without having a trial.

You have to present your motion to the court by scheduling it per the clerk's instructions.

The court will then set a briefing schedule and set the matter for hearing.

The rules of evidence are complicated and the burden is on you to prove the move is in the kid's best interest.

I would highly advise you at least consult with a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.