Tampa, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: We're not married my children's mother without permission moved from Florida to Illinois what can I do to have my kids?

She moved from here in Bay county where I live now and have most of my life She up and moved from Bay, Florida to Moline, Illinois without permission. Now she will not allow me to talk to my kids on the phone or even visit my kids. When I try she will not give me an address. I have no idea how my kids are if they're okay, the only time she calls is asking for money to pay bills. So now I feel like she can't even take care of them by herself but she won't let me see them. I sent her over $1,000 which was a mistake but I won't send anymore because she won't let me see or talk to my kids.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You do not say whether you have ever been to court to establish paternity. If the answer is yes then you can return to the court that established paternity and ask for timesharing. If the answer is no then mom had the legal right to move wherever she wants. You will need to file for paternity and timesharing in the court wherever she is living with the children.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.