Hudson, FL asked in Civil Rights, Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Tennessee

Q: I have a tenant that has not paid rent in three months she finally moved out and moved to Tennessee house with Maine.

She fluttered part of the house damaged walls ceiling and doors. Good luck at state so I couldn’t feel her I think the collection agency after her and she refuses to pay. What are my options to get the money she owes over six grand? Can I sue her and Tennessee myself or should I let the credit company sue her what’s the difference between the two? I have everything in writing and photos of everything even photos before she moved in. What are my chances of winning the case similar to this and actually having her pay. I no sue someone don’t mean they will pay. I don’t know the laws in Tennessee but I mean just cause I have a judgment of me to actually pay. And when I credit company to do the suit is between the creditor agency and the defend it correct? Or is the lawsuit still between me and the tenant?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You might file a Sessions suit for the Lease Breach by not paying, if you know how to serve her. If you get a Tennessee Judgment for the Rent owing, you can file it as a Judgment Lien in whatever County in Maine she lives in. I do not know how many years the Lien will be good for, but this may be the only way to ever recover against her.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.