Hudson, FL asked in Civil Rights, Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Tennessee

Q: I have a tenant that has not paid rent in three months she finally moved out and moved to Tennessee house with Maine.

She floored part of the house damaged walls ceiling and doors. Then left the state so I couldn’t sue her. I hire a collection agency to finder her. She is refuses to pay. What are my options to get the money she owes over six grand? Can I sue her in Tennessee myself what are the rule there or should I let the credit company sue her what’s the difference between the two? I have everything in writing and photos of everything even photos before she moved in. What are my chances of winning the case similar to this and actually having her pay. I no sue someone don’t mean they will pay. I don’t know the laws in Tennessee but In maine just cause I have a judgment on her dose meen she actually pay. when A credit company due her is it between the creditor agency and the her is that correct? Or is the lawsuit still between me and the tenant?

1 Lawyer Answer
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: What does the lease say about damages or venue? Your question is also confusing - did she lease property in Tennessee and move to Maine, or the other way? Typically, you sue the person where they leased the property but you will need to serve her with the lawsuit where she lives now. Here in Tennessee, if she does not respond or appear in court you would win a default judgment. You would then need to execute on the judgment to collect - but laws regarding collecting on a judgment vary from state to state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.