Mill Valley, CA asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for California

Q: In CA do I need to quitclaim a condo to the estate and then quitclaim from the estate to a person? How do I sign 1st one

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Samuel Price
Richard Samuel Price
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Redlands, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: As the personal representative of the estate, you can transfer the property directly. You do not need to transfer it from the decedent to the estate (the estate is not a separate person).

If you plan to sell the property, you would sell it through an escrow company and they would prepare the deed.

If you plan to distribute the property to an heir of the estate, you would need a court order to distribute the property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.