Egg Harbor Township, NJ asked in Real Estate Law for New Jersey

Q: Can a landlord sue me for past due rent if I moved out 2 years ago?

I signed a lease to rent a home with my mother approx. 5 years ago. The lease was up after one year and we did not renew. We stayed in the home paying rent on a month to month basis. I moved out 2 years ago. Recently my mother fell behind on the rent and the landlord issued a summons against the both of us for past due rent. The landlord knows I have not lived there in 2 years. I don’t know why she is including me. I have not spoke to the landlord in 2 years. Any correspondence about rent has been with mother. How can I show the Judge that I am not responsible and have my name removed from the suit?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Yes the landlord can sue you, but if that happens, then you can (depending on your overall financial situation) file for bankruptcy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.