Port Jefferson, NY asked in Foreclosure for New York

Q: I have now been named and served as a defendant in the foreclosure of my mother's house, as she passed...

I received the summons yesterday (my husband answered the process server for me). I am not on the deed nor note for this house, and do not plan to contest the foreclosure, however, I want to remain in the loop about the proceedings. I also, do not want to hand my rights over to the bank's attorney with little to no knowledge of how this process goes. Do I still file an answer (within 20 days) or a Notice of Appearance? Or both?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: There is a special notice of appearance for foreclosures. I charge $500 to file it and monitor the case. It gives you notice of all proceedings, and any surplus issues. You do not owe anything. You are being named as an heir, I assume. The papers will say.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.