Marlton, NJ asked in Child Support for New Jersey

Q: I need to file for a "change of circumstance" in child support. Can I get an attorney to help me? I am unemployed.

I am unemployed due to student teaching and do not qualify for Unemployment. My ex has gained new employment, presumeably a higher income, and lowered the children's medical that he is responsible for. He is responsible for the premium (this is what was used to calculate child support) and I am responsible for ALL co-pays, medications etc. He was ordered to contribute after the first $250 out of pocket expenses that I inurred (per child) for which he has not done so. He also does not contribute to any expenses related to sports, band, back to school items, clothing, etc. The children take clothes for his place and I seldom get them back. In three years since our divorce he has purchased two pairs of children's shoes. We had a trial and it has been very ugly. I need representation to take him back to court. I am quickly going into debt. We have a "judgement", it was not a typical "settlement". I am currently living off of $2700 a month and supporting three dependants.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Noel Rivers
Noel Rivers
  • Hackensack, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Based on the information you provided, it appears that you have grounds to bring your ex back to court. I understand your concerns regarding your ex not contributing towards certain expenses for the children. The New Jersey Court Rules break down what expenses are included child support. If you read #8 of this publication from the court, it will explain specifically what expenses are included:

If you are unable to hire a lawyer due to financial constraints, I recommend contacting the legal aid department in your area. If you aren't successful with legal aid, try contacting the law schools in your area and ask if the legal clinics in the law schools are accepting new clients. Seton Hall University School of Law has a family law clinic and certain times of the year, they accept a few cases for indigent members of the community.

If you are unable to qualify for legal aid, you should seek out consultations with a few different lawyers and try to find one you can afford. There are many lawyers who bill at a lower hourly rate, who will accept a smaller retainer, or who have different billing methods such as the option to make monthly payments on a credit card.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.