Portland, OR asked in Elder Law for New York

Q: If disabled brother doesn't get $86k inheritance until age 65, is there a way to protect the money from Medicaid?

I am executor. Brother has cancer and turns 65 in 2 months. I understand a trust can be used before 65. After that, Medicaid is secondary insurance to Medicare. Brother is not in long term care. He gets retirement social security income. Does he potentially lose less to Medicaid once he is on Medicare? Should he just take the money and spend it down? He'll be on regular Medicare; not advantage plan as far as I know.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Benjamin Z. Katz
Benjamin Z. Katz
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It is better to be on Medicare to minimize expenses. Once he receives his inheritance, he may not qualify for Medicaid coverage, if he current qualifies, without spending down first. However, there are planning techniques to protect a portion of the money if he needs to spend down.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.