New Iberia, LA asked in Family Law, Child Support and Juvenile Law for Louisiana

Q: How can i get my minor childs settlement from someone that is not his custodial parent

My sons father received a settlement in 2019 he owed child support they took out what was owed to them than sent the rest of the money to the person who THEY had listed as the custodial parent which was my aunt she had him in 2012 to 2013. Child support said he was in the arrears in 2015 i had him in 2014 till present. I have court papers showing i have custody since 2014. Did child support have to make my aunt pay me back

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You need to co sult with support Enforcement....if it isn't too late. You should have do e this as soon as you found out he got a settlement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.