Snellville, GA asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Probate for Georgia

Q: Any cases where a judge may forego a bond when dealing with minors and conservators which are their parents? § 29-3-41

Just curious as to much this may cost as I still have to raise her.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mandy Moyer
Mandy Moyer
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cumming, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I appreciate that navigating the legal system without the assistance of good legal counsel can be confusing!

To answer your question, typically no - a judge would not forgo a bond even though the minor's conservator may be his or her parent. Unfortunately, the law doesn't really permit them to establish a minor conservatorship without requiring the bond.

That said, if you are having trouble obtaining a bond yourself, you still have some options. I'd be happy to explain them - just give my office a call.

If your only concern is the cost of the bond (so, you're eligible to be bonded), then I am pleased to let you know that the bond can be paid from the conservatorship assets, since the purpose of the bond is to protect those assets.

Need more help? Give me a call! Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.