Asked in Personal Injury for Georgia

Q: how to get a hospital lien nullified

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar

A: Resolving a lien at the end of a personal injury case is generally something that's more in the control of the medical provider than it is the plaintiff. Your attorney could try to negotiate with the hospital to see if they are willing to accept a reduction in their lien. Also examine how the lien materialized. If it materialized because the insurance carrier determined the services to be medically unnecessary, or because the proper fee schedule was not applied, that could provide reasons for your attorney to review the charges and determine if the lien is fully legitimate. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Ken Shigley
Ken Shigley
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: First, you need to examine whether the hospital lien is enforceable.

OCGA § 44-14-471. Procedure to perfect; filing of statement by operator of hospital; effect as notice


(a) In order to perfect the lien provided for in Code Section 44-14-470, the operator of the hospital, nursing home, physician practice, or provider of traumatic burn care medical practice:

(1) Shall, not less than 15 days prior to the date of filing the statement required under paragraph (2) of this subsection, provide written notice to the patient and, to the best of the claimant's knowledge, the persons, firms, corporations, and their insurers claimed by the injured person or the legal representative of the injured person to be liable for damages arising from the injuries and shall include in such notice a statement that the lien is not a lien against the patient or any other property or assets of the patient and is not evidence of the patient's failure to pay a debt. Such notice shall be sent to all such persons and entities by first-class and certified mail or statutory overnight delivery, return receipt requested; and

(2) Shall file in the office of the clerk of the superior court of the county in which the hospital, nursing home, physician practice, or provider of traumatic burn care medical practice is located and in the county wherein the patient resides, if a resident of this state, a verified statement setting forth the name and address of the patient as it appears on the records of the hospital, nursing home, physician practice, or provider of traumatic burn care medical practice; the name and location of the hospital, nursing home, physician practice, or provider of traumatic burn care medical practice and the name and address of the operator thereof; the dates of admission and discharge of the patient therefrom or with respect to a physician practice, the dates of treatment; and the amount claimed to be due for the hospital, nursing home, physician practice, or provider of traumatic burn care medical practice care, which statement must be filed within the following time period:

(A) If the statement is filed by a hospital, nursing home, or provider of traumatic burn care medical practice, then the statement shall be filed within 75 days after the person has been discharged from the facility; or

(B) If the statement is filed by a physician practice, then the statement shall be filed within 90 days after the person first sought treatment from the physician practice for the injury.

(b) The filing of the claim or lien shall be notice thereof to all persons, firms, or corporations liable for the damages, whether or not they received the written notice provided for in this Code section. The failure to perfect such lien by timely complying with the notice and filing provisions of paragraphs (1) and (2) of subsection (a) of this Code section shall invalidate such lien, except as to any person, firm, or corporation liable for the damages, which receives prior to the date of any release, covenant not to bring an action, or settlement, actual notice of a notice and filed statement made under subsection (a) of this Code section, via hand delivery, certified mail, return receipt requested, or statutory overnight delivery with confirmation of receipt.

If you are on actual notice of the lien, it may still be an enforceable debt even if not perfected.

In personal injury cases, we often see hospitals choose to rely upon the lien for the "sticker price" of services rather than submitting the claims to an insurance company, Medicare or Medicaid. When we see that happening during the progress of the case, we may submit the bills directly to the insurer, Medicare or Medicaid, in order to reduce the amount of any lien or reimbursement claim.

If the lien is valid and enforceable, the next step is to attempt to negotiate with the hospital's representative to reduce the amount. Often we can get that reduced by a third or more.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.