New Caney, TX asked in Civil Rights, Estate Planning, Identity Theft and Small Claims for Texas

Q: If I lived at a house for 5yrs and was kicked out by force with not being allowed to get my things from the house.

What course of action do I have to retrieve my things like titles birth certificates clothes tools beds art works wood works etc I live in texas I did pay rent and utilities no lease it was rent to own me n my parents split the cost of buying the house 1/3 each and when my dad died she took all our things and changed locks when I was at work n kicked me out n said don't come back or I'm calling the cops

1 Lawyer Answer
Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You do not state whether you were a renter with a lease, a renter without a lease or a guest or whether you were kicked out for nonpayment. Some leases allow the landlord to seize and sell your personal property if you do not pay rent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.