Washington, DC asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for District of Columbia

Q: There is a product I want to rebrand, I cannot find a patent on this item. Is this possible?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Pittsboro, NC

A: It is possible that the product you are looking at is not covered by a current patent.

The best place to start is with the product itself and the packaging that comes with the product. There is an incentive to mark the patent number on the product or at least a web page address that lists the patents. Failure to do so can result in a loss of damages during any lawsuit.

To take things a step further, you can do some patent searching using public tools. http://bit.ly/Patent_Searching

It is possible that a patent application has been filed but not yet granted. Depending on the status of the application, it may not have been published yet. So even doing a diligent search won't reveal whether a patent application is on file that may someday issue as a patent. However, if they had a patent application on file, it is likely that they would make the optional marking of patent pending on the product to warn people.

If you found this answer helpful, you may want to look at my answers to other questions about patent law are available at the bottom of my profile page at https://lawyers.justia.com/lawyer/kevin-e-flynn-880338

Kevin E Flynn

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.