Jacksonville, FL asked in Adoption, Family Law, Child Custody and Legal Malpractice for Florida

Q: Am I able to undo an adoption if it was done illegally or using intimidation?

When I was 19, I was going to give my newborn up for adoption to a close friend. They moved with her from Florida to Georgia, nothing finalized, and I changed my mind. They took me to GA court, which resulted in GA removing my child from their care, but GA put her in foster care. I did everything I was asked to do, to get my baby back. In the end, the fosters got to adopt her, because I was not married, and she had bonded to the fosters. I know now (years later) that the judge, case workers, lawyers (including the one they gave me) and the adoptive parents were and still are great friends. So many things about what happened make no sense, and do not seem legal! I didn't have the money to fight it, either. Is there anything I can do??

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You did not tell us how many years ago this happened to you, but I am guessing that is must have been more than 10 or 12. If so, the controlling statutes of limitation have expired and there is nothing you can do about it.

Practically speaking--if you still love YOUR child as much as it appears--I strongly advise you NOT to try to do anything to upset the adoptive parents or anyone else that you say was involved in this adoption because doing so will make matters very much worse for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.