Racine, WI asked in Divorce and Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: My husband is harboring our belongings after we discussed getting a divorce.

My husband and I were recently moving into a new household. We ended up deciding to get a divorce in 6 months, and im currently staying at a hotel until im able to fly back to the state i used to live. My husband is threatening to trash or sell our belongings that are held in storage, and withholding the location of the storage facility from me. What are the legalities regarding these items and is there any way to make him tell me where our items are stored?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hans Otto Lehr
Hans Otto Lehr
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: At this point in time, your best play is to get a divorce on file ASAP. If you do that, you can ask the Judge to make specific Orders regarding your property and insure he doesn't hide, destroy, or otherwise get rid of your property. I'd recommend you contact a family law attorney licensed in Oklahoma to assist you to get this done, ASAP.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.