Kansas City, MO asked in Car Accidents and Traffic Tickets for Utah

Q: citation after an accident the day before i moved to Canada. I found out that I need to appear in court. options?

the day before I moved to canada I got in a car accident in which resulted in a citation. this week I found out that my appearance was requested in court. currently I am not able to leave Canada until the end of the year. what options do I have to get this matter resolved via long distance? and how much should I be worried that I will have to travel to the US? lastly i would pay the fine but they haven't given me an amount to pay.

1 Lawyer Answer
Taylor C. Hartley
Taylor C. Hartley
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • American Fork, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: You can quickly resolve it by paying the fine (which may include restitution). However, if you would rather contest it, an attorney can go to court for you and resolve it without you having to come back. An attorney would be able to get the police report and figure out different options of how to resolve your matter, which may include dismissing certain charges, amending the charges, reducing the fine, or even taking it to trial.

If you enter the U.S. without having resolved it, it may have an effect on reentry. Because it's just a traffic matter, they may let you enter to take care of it. There is a possibility that it may bar you from reentry. If there is a warrant, that could mean other trouble like detention. It's best to take care of it before coming back.

James J. Lee and Peter N. Munsing agree with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.