Allentown, PA asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: If I had a conviction for use and possession of marijuana and then received a medical card a year later, can i do anhth

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Pacillio
Steven Pacillio
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: It appear that at the time of the events that have rise to the conviction you did not be have a medical marijuana card. Accordingly, the act of possessing marijuana at that time was in violation of the law so the conviction will stand. The law looks at the particulars of the events at the time they occurred, not if you got a medical marijuana card a year later. Unfortunately, getting the card now cannot help with the old case.

Fortunately, you may be eligible to have your record sealed under a relatively new PA law that provides a mechanism to seal certain low-grafe offenses so that, for instance, prospective employers cannot see the record of the conviction. You should contact an experienced criminal defense attorney in your county who can review the details of your criminal history records and assist with the filing of the appropriate paperwork to work towards getting your record sealed.

Steve Edward Jarmon Jr. agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.