Aurora, CO asked in Animal / Dog Law for Colorado

Q: We bought a parrot in 1996 & in 2009 I became unable to care for him due to cancer so family member #1 took him after

our possessing him for prior 13 yrs. Family member #1 then gave him to family member #2 in 2013 & in 2017 #2 moved into our home with bird after a divorce. From then on member #2 left all of his care to us, feeding, cleaning cage, etc. & has lived in our home until present (2019). We've now given member #2 60 days to move as he refuses to handle his responsibilities including his dog. He's now threatened to take parrot from us to be spiteful but as he's contributed 0 time or care for this bird & we're not ok with him taking him from our home now. As the original & longest owner's as well as primary caregiver, do we have the right to refuse his demand of taking him to where he'll be neglected once again? In 2 yrs. he never cleaned his cage once & not only did the birds care revert back to us but his dog's care did as well. We know we've no legal recourse re: dog but to report to proper authorities but do we have a legal right to again keep our bird so he's cared for as he should be?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If you never sold the bird or gave the bird to family member number two, then the bird is yours and you never lost on ownership in the first place, and family member number two has no right to take the bird from you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.