Tampa, FL asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: If I’m in the car with my son who is 14 and he wrecks and injures people in the car can I be criminally charge

He hit a tree not another vehicle and the people that were hurt was his other siblings

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sasha  Dadan
Sasha Dadan
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Pierce, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Florida Statute 322.36, Permitting Unauthorized Operator to Drive, states: "A person may not authorize or knowingly permit a motor vehicle owned by him or her or under his or her dominion or control to be operated upon any highway or public street except by a person who is duly authorized to operate a motor vehicle."

If a person violates this statute they commit a second degree misdemeanor punishable by up to 60 days in jail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.