Seattle, WA asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Juvenile Law for Oregon

Q: i saw the runaway laws when ur 17 the law cant do anything? In oregon

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You are a minor under your parents custody and care until you are age 18. Running away isn't a crime but it is a situation that is a safety concern for the minor child so the authorities can intervene and take the juvenile into protective care. That said, sometimes older children end up living on the streets if the system fails to provide a place for them or they just keep running away. It is illegal for another adult to shelter a juvenile when the parents want the child returned. That is called custodial interference. So if you run away you may end up in a dangerous situation living on the streets. My best advice is to stick it out living at home until you are age 18 and legally an adult. If living at home is dangerous for you in anyway, then call DHS and tell them about the danger or abuse you are suffering and get yourself placed in a foster home until you turn 18. Please don't think there is anything glamorous about street life. That would be a very big mistake.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.