Morganton, NC asked in Wrongful Death for North Carolina

Q: Can I open my son's estate if his wife won't

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bill Powers
Bill Powers
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina


A lot depends on the nature and circumstances of why that hasn't yet happened. Parents MAY in certain circumstances be eligible to file the estate.

It would be smart to find out if there is a will too.

Estates can be a bit complicated.

While most PI lawyers (accident lawyers) know how to set up an estate and negotiate claims involving Wrongful Death, most of us would first make sure there is "standing" to do that.

That'll take a longer conversation than works online.

Best bet is to talk to an attorney, get some information, and check out options.

Many if not most PI lawyers give free consults, so it wouldn't cost anything to ask some basic questions.

The Wilcox Law Firm in Morganton is excellent and they likely could give some more detailed/helpfull info on estates and filing.

Thereafter, maybe talk to an experienced personal injury lawyer in North Carolina.

Sorry for your loss

Bill Powers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.