Asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Washington

Q: What can i do? my 17yr old lives with 18yr boy friend but he is hitting her.

My daughter 17 lives w her boy friend 18 and his parents. They been together 2 yrs now they have a 9 month old baby. We found out he is hitting her. But she denys it. There is witnesses to this behavior. As a mother what can i do? She turns 18 in December so i need help fast. She has been suicidal before. And today she still talks about it. She is depressed. And i have heard the mental abuse first hand. And I've intervened during those times. And I've tried to get her to leave him. I've done everything except drag her away. Plz help me i don't want nothing to happen to my baby and there son deserves a better life than what his father is showing him. And my daughter is a extremely good mother. I just feeling helpless at this point.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Port Orchard, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: The law allows a parent to seek a protection order on behalf of a minor child. So you can go to the local courthouse and ask for a protection order that would prohibit him from contacting her, but that would only be valid until she is 18.

You can of course report what is happening to local law enforcement and/or CPS and ask that an investigation be conducted.

If you call the county district court clerk, they can direct you to how to file for a protection order if that is the way you decide to go.

I don't know that any of these are the best long term solution to your situation, but they are available legal remedies.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.