Saraland, AL asked in Family Law for Alabama

Q: Relinquish non custodial parent right's who does not provide care nor financial support for our child.

My child is 7 years old and her father does not provide any financial support. If pressed too hard for help will disappear for months to years on end. Will not voluntary give up rights and is not named on birth certificate. Never established paternity he has never held a job down for more than 6 months at a time never have provided support for child in times where he may had a job. My father provides shelter for me and my children we both provide transportation and financial support to my children and I would like my father to be her adoptive father.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman

A: He does not have any rights. However you can terminate what ever potential rights he may have if you are confident he is the biological father. This is called a Termination of Parental rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.