Mesa, AZ asked in Family Law for Arizona

Q: My son will be 18 October 12 of this year, can the courts make my son see him after he turns18 ?

Father took me to court , court wants me to pay half of counseling for the two of them, father has never been in my sons life , courts told me I have to let my son speak to him twice a week , when he turns 18 in less then a month, do I have to force him to speak to him and go to counseling?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rich J. Peters
Rich J. Peters
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: in Arizona, NO. The Court loses jurisdiction over the child once the child turns 18.

HOWEVER, the Court still has jurisdiction to force Dad to pay child support. Is he current? If not, there are steps you could/should take soon after the child turns 18.

Please come in soon. We can certainly help you consider and then pursue your options.

One of our attorneys can explain the issues and procedures better in person. As you can imagine, there is too much to cover via email. We offer free ½ hour consultations, in which we can discuss your matter in detail.

Please call or email my assistant Maddy to schedule your free ½ hour consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.