Atco, NJ asked in Consumer Law and Child Support for New Jersey

Q: What can I do about my bank account being levied even though I pay my child support plus extra to cover the past due.

I get garnished. If they levy my account I’ll be homeless in a months time I barely make enough money to survive as it is

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Depending on your overall circumstances and how the numbers work out, you have 2 main choices. The first one is to retain an experienced matrimonial attorney to file a motion based on changed circumstances to reduce the amount of child support. The alternative, which would depend on your overall financial situation and how the numbers work out, would be to file for Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, which could spread out your payments over a 5 year period.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.