Lafayette, LA asked in Traffic Tickets, Federal Crimes and Juvenile Law for Louisiana

Q: I’m 17 yrs old, ticked for drag for attempting to pass a speeding car and switch lanes going 55 in a 45. Consiquince?

I was attempting to pass a souped up Camaro which was speeding so I could switch lanes. It was in a 45mph zone and I went at least 55mph. When the cop pulled me over he asked if I was trying to out run the Camero I said yes. Because of that he stated on the ticket I was drag racing, I’m scared out of my mind after doing research, I could face from 1 month to 2 years in jail or be “lucky” as they say and just be fined and 30 days suspended license. What is the possibility of my consequence? Also I’m worried because I’m a minor at 17 would a parent have to accompany me in court?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Tell your parent to hire a traffic court attorney. You are not going to jail.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.