Union, NJ asked in Construction Law for New Jersey

Q: How do I file a lien on a property in nj for a unpaid balance for work that was done by my company

Bank issued a payment for the work that was done but the homeowner will not turn over the check to me, so I would like to file a lien on the property so that the bank can not release any funds to another contractor until I have been paid

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You should consult an experienced civil litigation attorney prior to taking any action. I presume that you are a home improvement contractor. If that is the case, your contract must be completely compliant with the N.J.S.A. Home Improvement Contractor Act, otherwise, you are also risking violation the N.J.S.A. Consumer Fraud Act, which provides for triple damages, plus attorney fees. By just putting a mechanic's lien on the property, you could open yourself up to a potential world of trouble.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.