Melbourne, FL asked in Traffic Tickets for Virginia

Q: Is it possible to be able to resolve a speeding ticket from Virginia because I study and live in florida?

My speeding ticket is in Virginia, the police man says I was above 101 mph and give me a court date saying that i must attend. However, I live in Florida and I am an international student and cannot skip classes. Thus, what is the ways of solving my problems with attending the court if it's because of a speeding ticket? Also, the policeman told me what I did is a felony and I will be put in jail if I didn't show up for the court. Plus, I was not Driving Under Inffluence and also did not have drugs.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel P Leavitt
Daniel P Leavitt
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Midlothian, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: 101 mph is not a speeding ticket, it is a criminal misdemeanor. And yes, most courts both require your presence in court and give some jail time for driving at such a high rate of speed. In some courts you may be able to work off the jail time. If you do not show up, most courts and judges I know will issue a warrant for your arrest which is a separate criminal charge for failing to answer the summons. Contact a traffic lawyer in the location where you got your charge and they can better advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.