Poteau, OK asked in Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: How do I legally approximate a marriage?

My partner and I do not want to get married, but do want to ensure that we are each other's beneficiary, etc. We already have joint bank accounts, and plan to file Powers of Attorney. However I'm wondering if there are other rights and privileges spouses have which could be simulated through legal means. Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hans Otto Lehr
Hans Otto Lehr
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: There are other rights and benefits that a spouse receives upon the death of the other, i.e. possession of real property, life insurance, retirement plans. There are also, potentially, health care decisions that could be made by a spouse. There are mechanisms that can be put in place to insure much or all of this for you all. To accomplish this, you will almost certainly need the help of an attorney. Reach out to a licensed family law attorney or estate planning attorney in Oklahoma for help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.