Irving, TX asked in Child Support and Divorce for Oklahoma

Q: Does the husband need to start paying child support before the wife even files for divorce? Will there be back support?

Wife commits adultery and moves out. She lives off student loans finishing College May of 2020 when she will start working for 70k a year. Has not filed for divorce yet. Only a verbal agreement with husband on custody and child support. She made him start paying child support immediately to her the month she moved out by telling him he would have to pay from the time she moved out anyway when they eventually go to court. Is this true? He has a job and been giving her money. I dont trust her. Do child support payments need to start from the date the wife moves out after she commits adultery? If he waits for the court order will he have to pay back pay of child support from the day she moved out? She went and got food stamps and Medicaid for the kids how will this affect him? She verbally agreed to 49/51 custody. 51 being her %. She didn't move out until mid August. Shouldn't he file tax return this year or will the government try to take it because she got food stamps and Medicaid?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hans Otto Lehr
Hans Otto Lehr
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If you want to insure that you'll receive child support, you need to make sure that you get a divorce petition on file as soon as possible. You should get a lawyer to aid you in this process. Contact a licensed family law attorney in Oklahoma for help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.