Port Saint Lucie, FL asked in Traffic Tickets for Florida

Q: My 17yr old received a ticket. The officer cited him for going 45 in a 35mph zone but then also wrote he was going 66.

My son received a traffic ticket and was cited for going 45 in a 35mph zone. In the notes field though the officer wrote that he clocked my son going 66. My son has never had a ticket before, he says he was going the speed limit, and because there are two different speeds on the ticket I can't be sure which is accurate. The police officer may have just been being lenient but being he noted two different speeds with no explanation why I cannot fairly reprimand my son. Can I go to court for my son and would it be a bad idea for me to do so? I also heard that it's best to postpone hearing dates. Is that something I should do as well if I should go to court? Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: No, you cannot represent your son in court unless you are a licensed attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.