Trussville, AL asked in Personal Injury and Nursing Home Abuse for Alabama

Q: Can a nursing home be held accountable for neglect?

My loved one is physically and mentally challenged and unable to speak and has a peg tube. He has been hospitalized and sent to the ER several times for different reasons ( infections, dehydration, peg tube dislodgment, peg tube misplacement). There was even a time I’ve gone to visit and noticed a very bad wound to his buttocks. No treatment was being done and no one notified me of it. I’ve voiced my concerns to Medicaid, the nursing home’s staff ( executive director, director of nursing, the nursing staff, the omsbudsmen) still nothing is being resolved. I don’t know what else to do but reach out for guidance on this situation.

1 Lawyer Answer
J. Brent Burney
J. Brent Burney
  • Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
  • Decatur, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Yes, they can, and should, be held liable for negligent acts that cause harm to the resident. These claims fall under the Medical Liability Act in Alabama. If the nursing home and its staff breaches the standard of care, and the resident suffers harm as a result of the breach then you could have a cause of action. You will have to present expert testimony to prove the breach of the standard of care and resulting harm. I have personally handled claims against nursing homes in Alabama for infected PEG tubes. You should contact an attorney that handles nursing home abuse and neglect claims to review the facts to determine if there has been a breach in the standard of care.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.