Newport News, VA asked in Workers' Compensation for Virginia

Q: Received lifetime medical for back injury went to doctor 6months after receiving award and doctors office said my case

Was closed reached out to risk management knowone several times and had no success in speaking to any one . What should I do ? I called workers compensation now I'm planning on inform them in writing

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jerry Lutkenhaus
Jerry Lutkenhaus
  • Richmond, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You have a lifetime medical award for your injury. However, a doctor must say you “need” medical treatment for your injury. You should review the last medical report from the doctor to see if you were released. If you disagree, then you need to see another doctor to see what that doctor says. This does get complicated since the doctor who was treating you for your injury has the status of being the “treating doctor” for your injury. But if he refuses to see you and has not said your are recovered and need no treatment then you have a right to demand a new “treating doctor” from the insurance company. If they refuse to provide a panel of three doctors, then file a claim for a new doctor with the Virginia Workers Compensation Commission. That phone number is 1-877-664-2566.

You also need to contact a Virginia Workers Compensation Attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.