New York, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: Tenant refused me to get in for inspecting the apartment. He reported to Housing dept without reaching out to me first.

There are 4 items and all minors according to Housing. But, she refused my multiple requests, and demanding that I have to have a licensed plumber first in order to get in. I told her that I need to understand and assess the damages first, also based on Lease, I have the right to get in for the inspection in an agreed time with Tenant. I hit the wall.

I have a deadline to fix which was set by Housing.

it seems to me the only way to move forward is to file to the court. What would you recommend?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter A. Michael
Peter A. Michael
  • Jersey City, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: My recommendation is sending a demand letter to enter into the house at a proposed time. But since you are dealing with a time crunch, you may have to send your tenant the appropriate notice and then file a summons and complaint in court. This way we can appear in front of a judge and have a Landlord Tenant Judge hear the facts of the case and order your tenant to allow for repairs at an agreed upon time. I have dealt with this issue numerous times, and my firm offers a free in office consultation. Feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.