West Jordan, UT asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Utah

Q: Can the death penalty be imposed for someone with mental/ psychological illness?

A young friend of mine was sentanced to 25 years in prison at age 17 for stealing beer, the attorney assigned to his case did a poor job in defending him. Whilst in prison he was housed with a rival gang member, they got into a fight which resulted in the other inmates death. My friend is now charged with murder and the prosecution is determined to give him the death penalty, he has suffered with mental illness his whole life including being hospitalized, he is currently on medication for anxiety. His attorneys are not doing a good job and have not taken his mental /psychological state into consideration. Can the prosecution still give him the death penalty?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aric M. Cramer
Aric M. Cramer
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • St. George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: The prosecution can seek the death penalty. If he has been charged with agg. murder, and has appointed counsel, they are Rule 8 certified and will look into that issue. Contact them. This constant posting of death penalty issues is not going to get you the answers you want. There are only about 50 of us in the state qualified to deal with the extreme intricacies of death cases. If you are unhappy with his current attorneys, hire one of us. These questions are like asking a brain surgeon how they are going do an operation on a subdural hematoma. It is way too complex for this format.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.