Palm Bay, FL asked in Uncategorized for Nebraska

Q: Child endangerment?

My daughter knows a young man with a 3 yr old daughter, and he intends to get the child an ATV for Christmas. At first his selection was one that maxed out at 40MPH, and now one that will go 21mph. In my daughters observation the child is developing a little slow - at 3 yrs old she has an understandable vocabulary of 4 words and does not follow direction.

The young man's actions appear to us to be inviting egregious harm to the child, but the State of Nebraska, as many, seem to not provide any oversight of these actions.


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: The Constitution protects freedoms including freedoms in parents raising their own children. Thus, it is legal and Constitutionally-protected for parents to allow their children to engage in activities that other people may not find safe enough for their own children. On the other hand, when an activity or act rises to a certain level of danger or harm, there can be laws that prevent parents from allowing their children to engage in these activities. For example, a child under a certain age cannot legally operate a jet ski even if a parent would think such is appropriate for their child.

If you have concerns that an activity rises to a level that it should have age-restrictions on it, you may want to contact your state legislator or other government official to raise awareness or request legislation to protect against an activity that you fear is harmful for children under a certain age.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.