Swedesboro, NJ asked in Family Law and Estate Planning for New Jersey

Q: how do i get a copy of a settlement agreement for a case form 1987 in second court in connecticut. my brother just died

My brother died in Dec who has a settlement agreement with AIG and large sums due in 2020 and 2025. I dont know how the agreement was written up. I am the administrator for the estate.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Noel Rivers
Noel Rivers
  • Hackensack, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: As an administrator, you will have to go on a fact-finding mission to get the information you need. Sometimes the decedent will keep important records such as a settlement agreement in a file somewhere. I would recommend conducting a thorough search of his house to see if you can locate it. If you are unable to locate it, you should then contact the clerk of the court in Connecticut to request the settlement agreement if it was filed. If they are unable to find it or if it has been destroyed due to its age, you should write a letter to AIG and enclose a copy of your Letters of Administration along with your brother's death certificate. In the letter, you should request a copy of the settlement. Make sure to be as detailed as possible and include all of your contact information in the letter. Send the letter certified mail with return receipt, so you are aware of when someone at AIG received the letter. Follow up with AIG after one week of AIG's receipt of the letter. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.