Kansas City, MO asked in Products Liability for Kansas

Q: A drunk driver totaled my parked car. Once the driver's insurance company pays the max amount for personal property

Damage which is only $10,000 in Missouri . Can I sue the individual for the extra expenses I incurred that his insurance didn't pay for. Down payment for a new car, sales tax, and registration.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Products Liability Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An attorney who practices in Kansas would be able to advise in the best possible manner, but your question remains open for a week. When you agree with the driver's insurance company on a settlement figure, they will ask you to sign a release. The language of the release will probably preclude your right to pursue recovery for other damages, in consideration for accepting their $10,000 settlement check. You could consult with a local attorney if they see things differently. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.