Aiken, SC asked in Estate Planning and Probate for South Carolina

Q: My father's wife filed his will at sc probate 9/18/2019. Will dated 1999.His signature is not his handwriting

His wife didn't contact me when he became ill. I came across his obituary online. She ran it in the local paper

the day of his funeral. It was listed as private. Thats how i found out he died. I went to probate and got a copy of his will

It was dated in 1999, it is not his signature on the will. He won a lawsuit in 2006 one million dollars. A couple of years

later he inherited his sisters estate, and then his brothers estate, they were large sums of money and property.

Like i said the will is a forgery. What can I do ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: You need to QUICKLY hire a will contest attorney to represent your interests in the probate. Do not delay. There are very tight deadlines. If you wait too long you will lose all rights to contest the will.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.