Piscataway, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: Can my landlord deduct unreasonable security deposit?

Hi, I rented a small townhouse for an year and paid one and half month security deposit.

- Landlord did not provide any details on where the security is deposited.

- After my lease end did not refund the deposit or provide a list of damages within 30 days

- On 31st day sent me an email stating they are deducting ~$600 for what seems like "normal wear & tear" (cleaning, paint touchups etc)

- Did not provide me an statement on interest earned at all.

What are my rights, can I file a complaint in court? I did not take any pictures while moving out so that's my mistake. But I hope since they did not respond within 30 days I can still get my complete deposit back.


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter A. Michael
Peter A. Michael
  • Jersey City, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Yes you can take your landlord to court for his lack of returning a security deposit. If you can contesting the fact of damages to your apartment, that is something for a judge to decide. The standard for damages in an apartment is "damages beyond reasonable wear and tear". It sounds as if your damages are only wear and tear. I highly recommend you consult with an attorney regarding these issues. Feel free to contact my office, we offer a free in office consultation. Best of luck!

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.