Lorain, OH asked in Copyright, Intellectual Property and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Ohio

Q: I would like to have a hard copy of a patent I originated. How much does that cost?

Worked for Lennox Industries for 19yrs; this was my final project. Even the events to my termination were questionable; at best, in my estimation.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Pittsboro, NC

A: Congratulations on being an inventor on a US patent. You can download a PDF of the patent at https://patents.google.com/patent/US10337727B2/en?oq=10337727 and then print the patent out.

If you want the patent on some thicker stock, you can buy one from the USPTO for $3. I have not done this but you can call the USPTO at 571-272-1000 to find out the process.

You can get a certified copy for $25 from the USPTO which will come with a cover sheet. I order these when I need one for work in a foreign country where I need to claim priority but I have never ordered one for a client to have. You may need to set up an account with the USPTO. See https://ebiz1.uspto.gov/index.html

There is a fancy "ribbon" copy of the patent that is mailed out to the attorney for the company that owns the patent. This ribbon copy is kept by the company sort of like title to a car. I don't think you can get a duplicate as I do not think that you own this patent.

I hope that this helps.

Kevin E Flynn

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.