Somerville, MA asked in Criminal Law for Massachusetts

Q: I'm on pretrial probation I missed a drug test my tril is set for October 9th to be dismissed. Can I turn my self in on

Will they move my trial up and put me in jail for pretrial probation violation

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lissa McKinney
Lissa McKinney
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Acton, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: They will not usually move up a trial dates as they are booked so tight. It sound like maybe you were on a pre trial diversion or given opportunity to not have case on record but the failure of doing thre drug test could be huge impact. You best have a very good explanation for missing it. IF you skipped because you were going to fail and have a reason, go and get a drug test now at a clinic or hospital if it was earlier this week just so you can have an argument that you didnt know what to do so went and got one on your own. Be advised marijuana will still be in your system.

They have an option of re starting the probation too- so your missed test might get you a longer probation but if you turn yourself in and stay sober you may yet come out of this OK. A lawyer may be able to help make those arguments. For sure turning yoourself in and facing the music is going to yield much better results than waiting until your trial date though. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.