Fort Worth, TX asked in Divorce for Texas

Q: Paid 33000 towards the mortgage over 7 years.Wife files for divorce. sells house and moves before divorce is final

She served petition for divorce 2 weeks before the new owner moves in.what can the husband do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Victoria Collins
Victoria Collins
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: There are too many other facts needed to answer your question. Is the house community property; e.g., was it purchased during the marriage with money owned equally by the spouses? Was the $33000 community property? Are you the husband, the person who paid toward the mortgage, or both? I suggest consulting a family law attorney if you are the husband, and a contract attorney if you are NOT the husband, but the person who paid the money.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.